Work From Home

Reports are pouring out of Washington about the Fiscal Cliff negotiations.  A lot of people observing the negotiations are outraged by what is going on.  Instead of being outraged, and there is plenty of time for outrage; we should take a look at what is going on.

If you analyze the negotiations, it tells you a lot about what is going on in Washington and what may happen.

What is going on inside these negotiations? 

First the Obama Team offered to raise taxes $1.6 trillion.  Then he wants no spending increases.  And the top layer of the cake?   He wants the authority to borrow money without congressional authority.  He wants to basically abolish the debt ceiling.

Obama’s initial offer to the Republicans was absolutely stunning.   He put an offer that not only is unacceptable to the Republicans; it shows contempt for the Republicans.

Roger Fisher and William Ury wrote a book called, “Getting to yes.”  It is the definitive book on negotiating.    Fisher and Ury talk about something called the “best alternative to a negotiated agreement.” (BATANA).    Obama believes that he has an incredible BATANA. 

The Republicans have already painted themselves into a corner.   When they agreed to the sequestration deal back in 2011, the Republicans gave away their strongest negotiating points.   The cuts the GOP agreed to back in 2011 would be the most painful for the GOP.  This was John Boehner’s brilliant idea that would “force” negotiations to reach an equitable settlement.

That’s a great theory, in practice.  However, it also assumes that both parties are entering into the negotiations in good faith.  The idea behind negotiations is that both sides want to reach a fair agreement.

Unfortunately for the Republicans and for America, the Obama Regime has no interest in fair agreement.  They do not look at negotiations as a forum for compromise so that the best ideas can prevail.  They look at negotiations as another battleground just like elections.  They do not want a fair agreement.  They want to win.

Obama approaches these negotiations knowing a couple of things.  First, his team has done such a good job of messaging on the fiscal cliff; most polls show the public will blame the Republicans for the fiscal cliff. 

Obama knows the drive by media will cover him.  They will dutifully report that anything other than a complete capitulation will be portrayed as Republicans trying to protect millionaires and trying to screw the middle class.

The other thing he knows is he has an opponent who has no stomach for the fight.   John Boehner will not stand and fight.  When you have an opponent who will not fight, why even try to be reasonable.

Back in an earlier part of my life, I worked as an Assistant District Attorney.   Every prosecutor in any jurisdiction can tell you which defense lawyer will try cases and which one will not.

98% of all cases in state criminal courts are resolved by a negotiated settlement.    I hardly ever negotiated with defense lawyers who I knew would not take their cases to trial.   I would just tell them what the offer was and wait for them to fold. 

Obama believes he is in the driver’s seat.  He believes Boehner will fold and give him everything he wants.  If Boehner folds and gives Obama everything he wants, not only does Obama continue to destroy America, he destroys the Republican Party at the same time. 

Boehner has a BATANA.  It is to simply walk away from the negotiations.   Boehner should realize that even if the fiscal cliff turns into a disaster now, by the time the 2014 elections come along, the fiscal cliff will be long forgotten.  What will not be forgotten is if Boehner surrenders to Obama.

If he does, it will mean the end of the Republican Party as a national party. 

Like us on Facebook!

Tags: barack, boehner, ceiling, cliff, debt, fiscal, increases, john, negotiations, obama, More…tax

Views: 2392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am under the impression that the Republican party is already dead. The largest parties, in this order, are now viable:

The Democrat party

The Republican party

The Libertarian party

The Green party

The Constitutional party.

Let's rev up the Constitutional party to First. The only reason it is not first at the present time is it has poor leadership. We can change this and overtake the others. We HAVE to do SOMETHING! We must INNOVATE to succeed, or else we fail!

Anyone nieve enough to believe BHO wants to negotiate has not been paying attention, ever. This offer from Gheitner is all for media sake so BHO can say he compromised and Republicans did not. Ok, we all know the liberal media is carrying the water for BHO. Sounds like everyone is just accepting it without a fight. When are we going to fight the media? I've heard very few Republicans getting in front of the cameras to fight the messaging. BHO used Bush to blame for everything. Why are Republicans accepting the message that they are to blame now. They seem to be acting cowardly. Too much silence. No wonder the ignorant voters believe BHO.

Uh, when you get in front of the cameras and bash the media, they turn the cameras off. There is no LIVE transmission. You see what the MSM wants you to see. No more, and a lot less.

Well,  Mary  Young,  YES,  but,  have  you  forgotten   GOOD  OL'  NEWT ? . . . . . . ( wink ! )

If y'all missed Newt Gingrich on Jay Leno last night, you really missed something.  Even the stupid, liberal Hollywood audience agreed with Newt when he explained that the fiscal cliff is just a made up excuse to get us to agree to something that we don't want to do!  He was brilliant, as usual!

It's just unbelievable that there are so many stupid people bargaining for our kids future. Even though the larger part of the 30 and under voted for the fool, the rest really don't deserve what they are about to have to go through. The takers are deffinately in charge and they will take until they finally get all they can and after they are thrown out the rest will not want to punish those involved for they would look like unkind politicians. If we don't get some backbone for leadership then we can forget ever restoring this mess to what it once was and we should separate from the stink.

I have of late lost a lot of faith in the republican party, They are there to do a job, but they are so worried about their public image/popularity to stand up to this maxist commie, I guess they don't realize that if they fold they really lose their image permanently. If they fight they will only be hated by the maxist left,  so what is wrong with that? I love having the left hate me. If the republicans stand now and fight they will get re-elected because they would be "DOING THEIR JOB.

Words to live by. . .if only the GOP would listen!!!

It's not just a bad deal, this is really an insulting deal. What Geithner offered, what you showed on the screen, Robert E. Lee was offered easier terms at Appomattox, and he lost the Civil War. The Democrats won by 3% of the vote and they did not hold the House, Republicans won the house. So this is not exactly unconditional surrender, but that is what the administration is asking of the Republicans~Charles Krauthammer

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/charles-krauthammer-republicans-obam...

Charles Krauthammer: GOP should let Obama dive off the 'fiscal cliff'
By Charles Krauthammer
Washington Post
Published: Friday, Nov. 30, 2012 - 12:00 am | Page 17A

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/30/5020066/gop-should-let-obama-dive-...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/charles-krauthammer-cliff-ju...

http://www.cwebnews.com/thumbnail.php?file=FISCALL%20CLIFF%20FACTS.jpg&size=article_medium

GO AHEAD, DO IT. . .this is why, "elections have consequences" IMO!

More words of wisdom for the GOP. . .only problem is, they think they already know it all and won't listen (so I'll post this article for our consideration):

Gingrich: House Republicans should stop negotiating with President Obama

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/29/gingrich-house-republicans-should...

“One of the things I would say to House Republicans is to get a grip,” Gingrich said in a speech at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif.

“They are the majority. They’re not the minority,” he said, enunciating the words as if explaining the concept to someone who did not understand it. “They don’t need to cave in to Obama; they don’t need to form a ‘Surrender Caucus.’”

“So my number one bit of advice to the congressional Republicans is simple: Back out of of all of this negotiating with Obama. The president is overwhelmingly dominant in the news media. You start setting up the definition of success finding an agreement with Obama, you just gave Obama the ability to say to you, ‘Not good enough,’” Gingrich said.

. . .“There is no fiscal cliff. It’s absolute, total, nonsense,” Gingrich said.

“It is an excuse to panic. It’s a device to get all of us running down the road so we accept whatever Obama wants because otherwise we have failed the fiscal cliff, and how can you be a patriot if you don’t do what the fiscal cliff requires, and the fiscal cliff will appear to us one afternoon, much like the land of Oz, where there will be this person hiding behind the machine who will say, ‘Raise taxes now,’” Gingrich intoned, “and if you don’t raise taxes you’ll have violated the fiscal cliff.”

“Now, do any of you want to be the person who stands up and destroys America by violating the fiscal cliff? Do you want to go on one of the national networks and explain that you are so reactionary, so out of touch with life, that you don’t care that America is going to die late on Thursday?” Gingrich scoffed.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTojgtXP9bHwlwFPDzCBlux5_Auis6GqptW5OWs_4u6saggh8Qf

Gingrich: House Republicans should stop negotiating with President Obama

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/29/gingrich-house-republicans-should...

Gingrich: The Fiscal Cliff Is an 'Artificial Invention' of Washington

http://nation.foxnews.com/fiscal-cliff/2012/11/30/gingrich-fiscal-c...

I agree Boehner should just walk away. This deal was brokered in 2011 by a BIPARTISAN panel. Isn't that what the libs are always whining about, BIPARTISAN THIS, BIPARTISAN THAT?

The fiscal cliff is smoke and mirrors; walk away and see nothing truly happens. And then add Obamacare, the true fiscal cliff and then lets have an Obama depression.

We need to crash this economy so the 30 somethings learn economics. We who know it's coming would just wish it would get here so we can get on with America.

Boehner's Take on the "Fiscal Cliff is not a joke and we need an Adult Conversation".

WELL "Weeping John" .....YOU and Obama need to quit " Giving each other High Fives and Patting each other on the back at finance meetings and " Start Acting like adults".

Semper Fi,

Ron

RSS

Tea Party Nation is a social network

The Instant Survivalist

Young Living Essential Oils

© 2014   Created by Judson Phillips.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service