Work From Home

Newt Gingrich has a new strategy.  The question is should everyone get behind this strategy?

From the Washington Examiner:

With losses in Alabama and Mississippi, Newt Gingrich's presidential campaign has changed.  In the past, the campaign was about winning, or trying to win, or at least claiming to be trying to win.  Now, it's about keeping Mitt Romney from winning.

Gingrich no longer says he can capture the 1,144 delegates required to wrap up the Republican nomination.  Instead, he now speaks frankly about a new plan: Keep Romney from getting to 1,144 by the end of the GOP primary season in June, and then start what Gingrich calls a "conversation" about who should be the Republican nominee.  That conversation, the plan goes, would lead to a brokered GOP convention at which Gingrich would emerge as the eventual nominee.

"Our goal first is to keep Romney well below 1,000," Gingrich spokesman R.C. Hammond said an hour before Gingrich addressed a small crowd of disappointed supporters gathered at the Wynfrey Hotel.  "It doesn't have to be 1,000, or 1,050 -- it has to be below 1,100."  If Gingrich succeeds, Hammond continued, "This will be the first time in our party in modern politics that we're going to go to the convention floor."

On election eve, after a long day of campaigning, Gingrich relaxed on a couch at the Wynfrey and vowed to keep challenging Romney through the summer -- long after the primaries have ended.  If he can keep the former Massachusetts governor from hitting the 1,144 delegate mark, Gingrich said, "Then on the 26th of June, there's a real conversation.  We haven't seen in our lifetime a situation where you actually had a political process beyond who wins the primaries."  As he has several times in recent days, Gingrich brought up the case of Leonard Wood, the Army general who ran for the Republican presidential nomination in 1920.

We must stop Mitt Romney from becoming the nominee.  He is the most liberal Republican to be seriously considered for the Republican nomination in the last at least 50 years.

Romney, if he is the nominee, will destroy the Republican Party.   He will simply manage our decline.  He will not work for a conservative agenda.   He will not make major spending cuts, nor will he cut taxes or repeal Obamacare.

We need to look at a different candidate at the convention.  It is imperative that we have a conservative candidate who can beat Obama in the fall.   That candidate is not Mitt Romney.   Mitt Romney has been running for President since he announced he was not running for reelection in Massachusetts.   Even after seven years, Romney cannot convince Republicans he is the candidate.  That is because he is a liberal, not a conservative and Republicans know this.

We need to start looking for a conservative candidate who can break the deadlock at the convention.  It could be Gingrich or it could be someone else.  But one thing is certain, Romney is not the candidate the GOP needs or wants.

Tags: Romney, convention, deadlock, gingrich, new, newt, strategy

Views: 2701

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I live in Lyon County, NV and have been elected to be one of the 71 Delegates.  I agree that Newt's strategy is the best one possible.  I personally prefer Newt or Palin for President and either Adam West or Herman Caine for VP, with the Cabinet filled with Conservatives like Palin, Michelle, West, Sandoval, Caine, Perry, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Bobby Jindal, or Marcus Rubio.  Plus, I pray daily that the Senate and the House both are won by Republicans.

I am committed only to vote for the most Conservative Christian who lives by the Constitution, and who can also defeat Barack Obama, if he has not been Impeached for Treason by then.

I like it.

Yes, David,

He followed that arrogant boast with "But, when I'm the nominee, they will!"

Gag me with a spoon. 

Has the GOP lost its mind?

a. zion

Abraham.......that is rhetorical question, isn't it!

I like it.

How moch is Romney paying you Newt. If you would just quit Romney will lose.

-                                        NEWT  GINGRICH  FOR  AMERICA                                                      

I still think Santorum would charge up the hill with an M1A1 Garand with Gingrich carrying the BAR, in another time to take out the 'commies'. Call me a Romantic!

The best possible plan could be just let Obummer have another four years to bring Ameica to the "brink" of disaster.  Please be assured that neither the Mitt Romney/Obamma Care candidate or Santoriam can defeat Bummer in debates and/or plans to CHANGE business as usual American politics with Rhino Repubs in control; and, even if they did, America would still be governed by the Rhinos like John McCain, Lamar Alexander, Corker, Marsha Blackburn (Tennessee) et al.  All of these Tennessee Representatives and the majority of the Congress & Senate voted to turn the government over to the group of twelve "do nothins" because they feared taking a stand to stop reckless spending.  This is exactly what we would get with a Santorum or Romney President.  Why not give Gingrich a try--at least he is different--he actually has plans to bring gas prices down, balance the budget, etc.  Why let the Rhinos frighten us to vote for a second rate candidate just because if we don't we may help Obama get reelected.  Then if Gingrich doesn't win, maybe a third party could develop in 2016 to offer American Conservatives a "real choice".  A third party without dedication to the Rhino Republican Party.  Many Tea Party Patriots are begging for a Conservative to support, but Romney and Santorum are not "it"!

There are two problems with Newt's plan.

1) Now that he has admitted that he can't win the nomination, many of his supporters will start leaving him. We've seen it over and over. Once voters conclude that a candidate can't win, they tend to leave that candidate, no matter how much they like the candidate or his platform. The why that this is problematic to Newt's plan, is that in the last couple of weeks, as Newt's campaign has lagged, there have been at least two polls that said that in the neighborhood of two-thirds of Gingrich's supporters listed Santorum as their second choice and one third listed Romney.  Since Romney only needs 48% of the remaining delegates in order to reach 1148 and he has been averaging over half of the delegates won up to now, if even 10% of Newt's supporters go over to Romney, it will insure that Romney gets that 48% that he still needs. Santorum, by contrast, needs 71.5% of the remaining delegates. With Romney averaging over 50%, up to now, Santorum has no chance of doing that.

2 ) After Missouri and Louisiana, the campaign head into big Northeast winner-take-all states that Romney will win. There are at least four of them. In an ordinary year, Texas might have acted as a buffer. But our primary was pushed back due to redistricting challenges and we are the next to last state to vote. By that time, the race will be decided.

The plain fact is that past studies have shown that between 15% and 25% of voters in both parties will not vote for a candidate, if they perceive him to have already lost the race. Newt would have done better to keep up the pretense that he was still a serious candidate. There is still a small chance that Romney won't secure the 1144 delegates that he needs, though since he needs only 48% of the remaining delegates, that's unlikely. But by admitting that he can't win, Newt will start hemorrhaging supporters and some of them will go to Romney, giving Romney the last little bit of support that he needs to absolutely secure the nomination.

But to make matters worse, those Newt supporters who list Romney as their second choice will likely be the first of Newt's supporters to abandon ship, since they won't want to vote for a loser and they won't want to risk Santorum winning. This was not Newt's finest display of logic.

Gee, you are just itching for your scenario to play out. You know I think you are wrong. Those "hemmorrhaging supporters" will not, necessarily, go to Romney. Then, what are you going to do?

You see before this election cycle started, there were lots of polls that showed a 30% of conservatives that most likely will stay home and not vote for Romney. In 2008, it was about 20% who stayed home because of McCain.

However, when people like you begin to take apart the candidates, but one, on a daily basis, some will get sick and tired of the negativity and the continuous criticism of their candidates and as the polls start to worsen, they'll just give up hope. And that's what you have done all along. Those timid souls that Carol was talking about earlier, will simply stay home.

So in the end, your guy Romney will be the loser, too. Then welcome to Obamaworld, again....not a pretty picture. Instead of tearing down, why not build up and bring some hope?

RSS

Tea Party Nation is a social network

The Instant Survivalist

Young Living Essential Oils

© 2014   Created by Judson Phillips.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service