Frankincense and Myrrh /p>

A year after Obama was elected, The Stiletto noted with alarm the “menacing fervor of True Believers” who were building a cult of personality around him. Over the past four years, sycophants amongst the ranks of the media, educators, historians and the Nobel Committee synergized Obama’s innate narcissism  and arrogance to the point where –   as Charles Krauthammer wrote in a different context – Obama has taken to conflating  himself with the nation (”L’etat, c’est moi.”):

The bios of the presidents on the White House Website, which were recently rewritten at Obama’s behest, collectively give the impression that he is the realization of his predecessors’ aspirations and the culmination of their achievements (see third item). In similar example of U.S. history being rewritten, “SEAL Team Six: The Raid on Osama bin Laden,” which aired on the National Geographic Channel this past week-end, was re-cut to make Obama a central figure in the terror leader’s killing after Obama donor Harvey Weinstein bought the rights to the film. And in his tribute Neil Armstrong, instead of a photo of the astronaut walking on the moon, the photo depicted Obama gazing up at the moon.

He once told supporters, “If you love me, you will help me pass [my jobs bill]” (see the second item), and in the final weeks of the campaign instead of telling voters what he would do for them and for the country if he is re-elected, he merely asked “for a vote of appreciation,” as Commentary put it.

During the campaign, Obama encouraged supporters to take pictures of messages supporting him on their hands; actress Jessica Alba got the ball rolling by placing her hand over her heart as though she was saying the Pledge of Allegiance, and then his campaign redesigned our country’s flag to replace the stars representing the 50 states with the Obama logo.

Just the other day Obama told voters to exact “revenge” at the polls (see the second item). In fact, this is not the first time he told voters to exact revenge on his behalf. In a radio interview with Univision before the mid-term elections he urged the Latino listeners to go to the polls with the intention to “punish our enemies” and “reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us.”

Obama’s economic and foreign policies failed because “the entire machinery of government is not being purposed to benefit the American people or to further this country’s strategic geopolitical and national security interests, but to prop up an incompetent fool and make him look good in the eyes of voters and other world leaders.”

The Stiletto watched all the speeches delivered at the Republican National Convention and perhaps half of the speeches delivered at the Democratic National convention, and then read through all the available transcripts of the remarks as prepared for delivery. One striking difference between Republicans and Democrats was the number of times they referred to their standard-bearer in the speeches. Democrats referred to Obama 664 times, whereas Republicans referred to Romney 299 times.  

These word clouds* of the most commonly used words in the speeches at the two party conventions depict the relative importance of words and concepts by the size and weight of the fonts.  

Here are word clouds of Romney’s acceptance speech (left) and Obama’s (right):  

See how prominent the words “America” and “Americans” are in Romney’s speech, as compared to Obama’s.

Here are the word clouds of all the speeches delivered at the RNC (top) and the DNC (bottom):

Obama is the central concern of Democrats, whereas America is the central concern of Republicans. This point is underscored by Sen. John Kerry’s (MA) DNC speech, which took aim at Mitt Romney’s promise to restore American exceptionalism ("We already have an exceptional American as president – and we believe in Barack Obama!") and by Romney urging his supporters not to vote for “revenge” but for “love of country.”

Democrats unwittingly made this a choice election – not between Obama and Romney, but between Obama and America.

* Word clouds of the 200 most-repeated words in Romney’s and Obama’s acceptance speeches prepared by USA Today; word clouds of all the Republican and Democrat speeches prepared by The Stiletto using Wordle. 

Tags: 2012, America, Obama, Revenge, Romney, Vote

Views: 1026

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Democratic party has always been about violence. Between 1900 and 1950, Democratic Congressmen were responsible for some of the most heinous acts of violence against other political figures, as well as minorities and immigrants. I can see not much has evolved in 100 years.

I made a comment on Facebook that when Obama says to vote for "revenge" I hear a dog whistle that his supporters should avenge his loss by rioting as they have threatened to on Twitter and FB. And when I hear Obama say "the Tea Party must go" I hear a dog whistle telling them to kill his political opponents, as they have threatened to on Twitter and FB. He is giving them permission to do the things they are openly threatening to do. Come think of it, that's not a dog whistle -- it's shouting into a bull horn.

It's despicable. When a leader of one political party or anyone for that matter calls for the termination of another political party, we know they have lost it. Without our two-party system, we lose the balance that would exist in collaboration on Capitol Hill.

This just proves that the Democrats need to go. They keep trying to raise taxes on America without actually doing anything. The more money the government has, the more it can spend. Government is dangerous and cannot be allowed to function in this capacity. It's an abuse of the 16th Amendment.

See my remarks and link posted further done the discussion.

Semper Fi!

Terrorist: "a person who employs terror or terrorism, esp as a political weapon"

Terrorist Organization: "a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals"

.......just saying.....

My only comfort, in all of the threats, veiled and open, coming from the Dems:

Occupy Wall Street, that heavily-funded, highly promoted, astroturf attempt at civil unrest

WAS A FLOP!  A FAILURE!!

They've already tried to coerce us with chaos.  No wildfire.

I guess paying people to show up and busing in union employees isn't quite the same.

LUVIN it Vix - Still wish we could be on the same page /hank/ still welcome to drop an article a week

It has been reported and videoed that the black panthers are intimidating people at polls in Philly, Rep. Poll watchers are being thrown out of polling centers because thier registered Republicans,ilegals are being forced to vote by union members  NAACP are handing out water and telling people to vote for Obama inside the voting polls in Houston. The machines are rigged. I think Obama is going to steal this race from us. I Pray that God will stop them in thier tracks. We will not survive another 4 yrs.

These word clouds are interesting, Victoria.

I'd like to see SOME people (such as: most of my Facebook friends) move past catchphrases and into real discussion of concepts, "real discussion" in my book meaning "analyzing conflicting viewpoints."

However, it's a good tool to sift through hours of rhetoric to see the bottom line.

And don't forget, "They bring a knife, we bring a gun.  That's the Chicago way."  Who the hell was THAT supposed to inspire??

It was a laborious process to do the word clouds of the convention speeches. First I had to copy and paste each speech from the Politico archive into a Word doc (there were several dozen) -- at least they were all gathered in one place and I didn't have to Google each one. When I loaded all the content into Wordle for the analyses, I had to make sure that the same filters were applied to the speeches of both parties.

Though the Dems had more speakers and spoke many more words -- something like 66,000 words -- these word clouds cut through all the clutter to visually depict their message and the Repubs' message better than sitting through hours of convention coverage ever could. It is a fantastic tool and I do not think coverage of any speech is complete without it.

I'm sorry I skimmed through the credits-- I thought you pulled the word clouds from USA Today.  

These ARE useful!  Thanks for your work.

USA Today had done the acceptance speeches. If I had a team of interns or junior reporters helping gather the text of all the convention speeches, it would have gone so much faster!

RSS

Tea Party Nation is a social network

The Instant Survivalist

Young Living Essential Oils

© 2014   Created by Judson Phillips.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service